JUST IN: FIRE ERUPTS AT DR. GRAHAM HOMES
4 months ago Himalayan Beacon News Desk 0
THE HIMALAYAN BEACON KALIMPONG NEWS BUREAU
KALIMPONG, 11 JANUARY 2018: Fire broke out today at Block D of Dr. Graham Homes. The house situated below the Dispensary that was almost completely destroyed belonged to Paster Anil Allay. The house which was made of two rooms were half concrete and half wooden. All the books and the documents in the house were completely destroyed as nothing could be salvaged.
The fire is reported to have been a result of an electric short-circuit. Kalimpong Town Fire Brigade responded after 45 minutes but before they could douse the fire, much had been destroyed. The incident took place today at around 12 noon.
Dr. Graham’s Homes formerly called the St. Andrew’s Colonial Homes was founded in 1900 by Reverend Dr. John Anderson Graham, a missionary of the Church of Scotland, who settled in Kalimpong and worked with the local community for several years during the turn of the 20th century. Whilst working in Edinburgh as a clerk in the Civil Service, Graham was influenced and encouraged by the Minister of his Church, the Reverend John McMurtrie, to be ordained in the Ministry of God.
The Himalayan Beacon News Desk comprises of Correspondents, Reporters, Stringers and Cub reporters spread all across the Eastern Himalayan region.